RE: Embedding fonts

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:09:00 -0700
To: Simon Daniels <simonda@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
Cc: www-font@w3.org
Simon Daniels wrote (2:35 PM -0700 5/11/98):

" The point at which antialiasing is switched on and off by Windows is decided
" by the type designer.

...for the relatively *very few* typefaces whose designers are alive and
have been actively engaged with the realization of their faces as TrueType.
For the rest it's ... something else.

" They set values in the font's GASP table in ppem sizes
" (pixel per em) not points.

I am very glad to learn this, thank you. I found the Win95 font information
widget misleading in that it reported point ranges at which these policies
applied. So if I change my logical resolution, it will report different
point ranges?

" There seem to be two camps when it comes to antialiasing. On one side there
" was the Legibility is Everything Brigade (favoring  the gridfit + hint +
" antialias approach) and the Wysiwyg is King Crew (throw the hints away and
" antialias). It would be nice if future operating systems/CSS let the
" user/designer choose between these two approaches.

Agreed. I have yet to see any credible scientific evidence to support the
thesis that non-anti-aliased type is more legible than anti-aliased, though
legibility may indeed be the flag that flies over that camp.

" If you like you prefer fluffy type, antialiased at all sizes, you can run
" your fonts through a little tool that sets the GASP to smooth at all sizes -
" http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8162/. The resulting font could
" be embedded.

Mmmmm fluf-fy. <g> Thanks!

Todd Fahrner
mailto:todd@lowbrow.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923