margin-left: implementation bug in MSIE4.0 (Mac)

From: Andi Hindle <andih@harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 03:59:00 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org

I posted the following to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets, but
traffic seems pretty low, and I wanted to check that people knew about this
one (or find out if I did something wrong :-) )

I think I have found an implementation bug in IE4.0 (Mac) for
The following style declaration:
body {
     background: url(images/blue.gif) #000000 7% 7% no-repeat fixed;
     font-family: verdana, sans-serif;
     font-size: 10pt;
     line-height: 120%;
     color: #FFCC99;
     margin-right: 27%;
     margin-left: 27%;
     text-align: justify;

works the way it should (as far as I can tell) in IE 4 (Win95).  It
mostly works in NS4.04 (Win95) (barring the fixed background image).
However, IE 4.0 on the mac appears to treat the left margin as _double_
the indicated size.  In other words, IE 4.0 on the Mac is behaving as if
the style read:
{margin-left: 54%;}
A page with the full stylesheet attached may be viewed at
Is this a known problem?  Is it documented anywhere?   I did check
<URL:http://www.webreview.com/guides/style/>, but margin-left gets a Y
for every platform/browser combination.  Or I doing something foolish