RE: OPINIONS WANTED: regexps in CSS?

From: Andrew n. marshall <amarshal@usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:28:36 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tuesday, March 10, 1998 3:17 PM, Carl Johan Burglund
[SMTP:carl.johan.berglund@adverb.se] wrote:
> You can always add a classname to precisely those elements you want to
> select, but if you know how to write an RE that selects those elements for
> you, you may save a lot of HTML-editing.
>
> If Braden asks for a special syntax in CSS for everything you kan do with
> regular expressions, then I think you may be asking too much, but if you
> are satisfied with the possibility to find the elements manually, and add
> classnames to them, then you have your other means.

With this considered, wouldn't it be a lot easier to write a perl script or
something that adds these classnames based on a pseudo-CSS stylesheet for a
site, a sort of preprocessor for CSS sites.  It would give advanced users the
flexibility they are looking for, it would not over burden the CSS
implementor, and it would save a lot of processing on the client side.

Andrew n marshall
 student - artist - programmer
  http://www.media-electronica.com/anm-bin/anm
   "Everyone a mentor,  Everyone a pupil"