Re: Styles for Input Elements?

From: William M. Perry <wmperry@aventail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 22:58:51 -0500 (EST)
To: "Shah, Anup" <ashah@strategy.com>
Cc: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
"Shah, Anup" <ashah@strategy.com> writes:

> I take it that while I could specify a style for INPUT, I cannot specify
> a style for, say SUBMIT, or TEXT? (I am using and developing for IE4.0
> only - nice luxury!)

  You could always go through and add a class to each one, but that would
be annoying. :)

> If I am wrong PLEASE let me know!!

  There was talk of adding pseudo-classes similar to the ones for
hyperlinks (:active, etc).  I actually implemented this in Emacs/W3, so
that you can do something like:

/*
** How to draw form elements.
** This is an extension in Emacs-W3
** Since there are so many different types of input fields, you should be
** able to control formatting based on that.  Enter pseudo-classes.
**
** This functionality will be removed as soon as the W3C comes up with
** the standard way to do this, perhaps in CSS level 2.
*/
input:text,
input:int,
input:float,
input:url,
input:password,
input:text    { text-decoration: underline; }
input:submit  { color: green;  text-decoration: none; }
input:reset   { color: red;    text-decoration: none; }
input:button  { color: yellow; text-decoration: none; }
input:image   { text-decoration: none; }

Chris, did IE ever implement something like this?

-Bill P.