Re: Q: More complex page patterns?

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Hakon Lie wrote:

> Text flows from one container to another were discussed in another
> W3C Note from 1996: "Frame-based layout via Style Sheets" [2]. Later,
> the text flow part was dropped and only the frames remain -- they're
> known as "absolute positioning" in CSS2.

Wouldn't that be "fixed positioning", Hakon? :-)

IMHO the most important thing was that you dropped the @-rules in
NOTE-layout for including external files. If these had gone into CSS
we'd have the whole frame nightmare all over again. I've been
advocating the frames-as-one-document since time imemmorial (oh dear
check the archives) and I was overjoyed when CSS2 came out with fixed
positioning. The only sane way to do frames...

The document flow thing is a very interesting idea in may ways. A way
to define arbitrary flow has several advantages:

1) It makes sense across media. Like someone said, the newspaper-style
continuation is an issue when printing, but not only so.

2) It is a *very* good tool for retaining a sane document structure in
the source document. Many times the layout on one media will mean that
the order of presented information is changed, and this usually means
you have to move things around in your document. Flowing text into
boxes can mean you can maintain a logical order for your document and
then upset it if the layout requires it.

Re: complete proposals. Are these helpful? I have a couple of ideas
floating around, and if it would help, I could present them in a more
formal way as proposed syntax on this list.

-- Stephanos Piperoglou -- stephanos@internet.com ---------------------
Visit HTML with Style at              http://www.webreference.com/html/
   Every second Thursday a new tutorial on HTML and CSS, plus much,
    much more... for those who like to author Web pages with Style