Re: Comments URI Proposal

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 14:03:49 -0800
To: Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com>, Steve Knoblock <knoblock@worldnet.att.net>, www-style@w3.org
Thus spake Susan Lesch:

> >/* <h3>COMMENTS</h3> <a href="http://www.example.com/css/comments.htm"> */
> >
> > valid? Then the style sheet could be loaded into the browser for reading.
>
> MSIE, and not NN far as I know, can be fooled into opening any
> file on disk as 'text/html', valid HTML or not. For .css opened
> as HTML, white space and line breaks are collapsed. I don't know
> the grammar but doubt you can link from embedded style.

I now understand that you meant working hypertext links. It doesn't seem
like too much trouble to me, however, to copy and paste. OTOH, I don't
think it would be out of line if an implementor were to choose to render
such URIs "hot," just as some UAs will color-code source when viewed. (I
have often wanted to be able to "surf source" this way when
troubleshooting!) I don't see the need for such behavior to be either
encouraged or discouraged in the specification.

[hey! on the Mac with the ICeTee extension installed, command-clicking on
complete URIs in text - in most any app - passes the URL to the appropriate
client. Works when viewing HTML source in a separate window, but not in the
main browsing window (MacIE4).]

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com