Re: Comments URI Proposal

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:16:42 -0800
To: Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com>, www-style@w3.org
Thus spake Susan Lesch:

> What if CSS encouraged a comment authoring practice, and/or
> permitted use of a 'comment' property with a value holding a URI
> for an external comment file? Authors could place notes and
> commented-out sections there.
>
> Examples:
>
> /* COMMENTS <URL:http://www.example.com/css/comments.htm> */

This seems like a very fine idea to me. In fact, I'll use it for a certain
documentation-intensive project I'm working on.

I'd also propose pseudo-standardizing the "colophon" class for HTML
divisions, which would contain technical and other notes about the formal
construction of the site. Its display property would generally be set to
"none" initially, but users could choose to view it by setting its display
property to "block", and perhaps its position to 0,0 in a personal
stylesheet. Of course, there'd need to be a UI for this, as suggested in
the CSS1 Recommendation. I'm at least mildly excited by the likelihood that
the free Netscape source will result in less "passive" user interfaces.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com