Re: Comments URI Proposal

Susan,
I like to see the comment with the code, but lengthy comments about design
choices, font usage and the like I would welcome being in a separate file.
I think you could do this right now by modifying your code to include HTML
within the comment (not sure if it's safe or valid).

>/* COMMENTS <URL:http://www.example.com/css/comments.htm> */

Is

/* <h3>COMMENTS</h3> <a href="http://www.example.com/css/comments.htm"> */

valid? Then the style sheet could be loaded into the browser for reading.

Adding a rule for comments would allow CSS editors to automatically
insert/show/hide comments.

As to download speed, linked style sheets come from the cache so the
improvement on most pages would be only on initial download.

Steve

At 10:37 PM 2/15/98 -0500, Susan Lesch wrote:
>What if CSS encouraged a comment authoring practice, and/or
>permitted use of a 'comment' property with a value holding a URI
>for an external comment file? Authors could place notes and
>commented-out sections there.

>Examples:
>
>/* COMMENTS <URL:http://www.example.com/css/comments.htm> */

   _/ Steve Knoblock                   19th Century Photography
   _/ editor@city-gallery.com      http://www.city-gallery.com/