RE: the whole pixel size dilema

From: Benjamin Hardcastle <benjaminh@epic.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:15:31 -0000
To: <www-style@w3.org>
> This is true for line-art - stuff with hard transitions - stuff that really
> ought to be in a vector format to start with. JPEGs (of photographic
> material) scale very nicely to arbitrary intervals - try it.

At the risk of sounding uppity, photographs do not scale up well. I know. I
agree that it is less *noticable* on a photograph, but the image quality is
degraded. Maybe of you had a very blurry, poorly photographed picture, this
scaling might improve the image. I've been a graphic artist for many years
(amongst other things), and I have a great deal of experience in scaling
images... There! Don't I sound awful?  ;]

I think I'd prefer for the images on my pages to remain as I intended them to
look, and not ruined by arbitrary scaling by the UA.

> Precisely - and this is happening. Now look at the images in GIF format on
> the Web, and ask yourself how many of them would be necessary with a) a
> really solid CSS1&2 implementation and b) a vector graphics format for the
> rest.

Indeed. I think we agree.

Benjamin