RE: the whole pixel size dilema

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:50:32 -0800
To: <benjaminh@epic.co.uk>, <www-style@w3.org>
Thus spake Benjamin Hardcastle:
> Graphics only scale well when you have a scaling factor of multiples of 100%.

This is true for line-art - stuff with hard transitions - stuff that really
ought to be in a vector format to start with. JPEGs (of photographic
material) scale very nicely to arbitrary intervals - try it.

> Designers would resort to setting everything to a form of "fixed" so that
> images are not completely ruined by the UA.

Precisely - and this is happening. Now look at the images in GIF format on
the Web, and ask yourself how many of them would be necessary with a) a
really solid CSS1&2 implementation and b) a vector graphics format for the

So, lacking CSS and SVG, we're definitely stuck in a bad place. All this
fine talk is to assure that once some of the other fundamentals are worked
out, they won't be hamstrung by neglect of these simple dependencies.
Todd Fahrner                    The printed page transcends space and time.
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com        The printed page, the infinitude of books,
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/  must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
                                                   - El Lissitzky, 1923