The 'align' property (or lack thereof)

From: John T. Whelan <whelan@physics.utah.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:38:59 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org
	I've been using the 'align' property to center blocks on the
page, and only recently discovered there's no such property in the CSS
spec, although NS 4.03 supports it.  'text-align' (which is not
supported by NS) can be used to align text within a block, but how is
one supposed to center an entire block within its containing block
without an 'align' property?

	If I want to replace the functionality of <H1 ALIGN="center">
I thought I was supposed to use <H1 STYLE="align:center;
text-align:center"> but now I learn that's not valid CSS2.  Is there a
good reason why something as obvious as 'align' was not included?

					John T. Whelan
					whelan@iname.com
					http://www.slack.net/~whelan/