Problems w/Font Size

From: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 20:18:01 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
I have a real problem when using font sizes with stylesheets.  My essential
problem is this: the incredible discrepancy in sizes between Macs and PCs,
IE and Netscape.  IF I specify specific font-sizes, then I have a problem
with legibility between the Mac/Windows platforms.  If I specify a
font-size of 8pt on the PC, it looks fine on the PC but unreadable on the
Mac.  However, if I use  words instead (ie, x-small, small, medium, etc.),
then the size differences between Netscape and Internet Explorer come to
the surface.

Can anyone figure out a way, short of Javascript (UGH!) to define font
sizes so that they are readable on both Mac and PC platforms and on
Netscape and IE?

BTW: The reason I need to be able to use small font-sizes (which sometimes
become miniscule on Mac systems) is that I am using this font in a sidebar
which I want to be fairly small.  If the font size is too large, then there
won't be enough room for the rest of the page.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]