Re: stupid multiple definitions for the TYPE attribute

From: Douglas Rand <drand@sgi.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 14:52:07 -0700
To: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
CC: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
Jordan Reiter wrote:
>   1) are there any other style types in the works (I haven't heard of any)

As Liam Quinn has mentioned,  both Javascript style sheets
and DSSSL are available.

>   2) if there are, shouldn't there be some way to use more than one style
> in a
>      page?

I don't know that this follows.  If you look at the JSSS stuff,  it
is essentially (I'm sure someone at Netscape will correct this if
I'm wrong) a way of getting at CSS properties from JavaScript and supply
matching rules.  So I don't see an advantage there.

For DSSSL it would seem that for the most part,  CSS has attempted
to remain in line with the properties available from DSSSL.  Most
of the rest of the reason for using DSSSL,  which is considerable,
is due to the ability to manipulate the document tree and perform
more programmatic manipulations.  It would seem to me that these
manipulations cannot be profitably performed on individual elements
in situ.

So what remains for both JSSS and DSSSL once you remove the
programmatic nature,  as I believe you must to process per-element
style declarations,  is essentially the same as CSS.

Doug
--
Doug Rand				drand@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics/SSO			http://reality.sgi.com/drand