Re: Macromedia Dreamweaver supports CSS1, CSS-Positioning

At 1:50 PM -0700 10/6/97, Sho Kuwamoto wrote:
>BTW, I'm the guy who implemented the CSS support (the parser,
>the renderer, and the editing UI) for this product, so please
>feel free to send your thoughts in my direction. Since this is
>a first-generation product which is still in beta, we haven't
>had time to do all of the CSS properties, but I'd appreciate
>any input you guys may have about what we do right and what we
>do wrong.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-Sho
>--
>skuwamoto@macromedia.com
>Dreamweaver Style Guy

Hi, Sho--

I'm just taking my first in depth look at Dreamweaver, and I have to say I'm impressed. It's just too bad that the browser wars is going to make it hard to convince web designers that CSS is worth breaking out of their habitual behaviors.

I like the immediate interactive feedback between the Style palette, the HTML window and the current page. One thing that is somewhat confusing is the fact that I ended up adding multiple span tags within a selected layer, trying to replace an earlier selection. I eventually figured out that clicking the tag/style names in the head of the Style palette, I could set that tag to 'none' (no style) and get back to the clean div. Maybe a 'Clear All Styles from selection' option would be useful.

The online help and introductory materials are very well done and, well, helpful!

It's particularly nice to see that Macromedia is paying attention to the progress of the CSS recommendations, while other major tool makers have recently released new versions (NetObjects, CyberStudio) with no support for styles at all.

I'm not a big fan of stuff floating all over my web pages (animation with 'DHTML' or whatever) but given MM's history, it does seem a natural fit to add a timeline to the thing ;-)

I'll send this to the w3-style list as perhaps readers there will be interested...

I'm looking forward to more stability in the next beta ;-)

All the best

Peter

Peter Fraterdeus, designOnline, Inc.
                  dezineCafe / http://www.dol.com