Re: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

Steve Knoblock wrote:

>... When the user changes the font size from the tool
>bar, the fonts change on the page, but not in the included area.

This makes no sense whatsoever. I thought it was established that the UA has
a hypothetical default stylesheet and that changing the default font in the
UA changes the base font size in that stylesheet. Therefore, changing the
font on the toolbar should change the font size in any element for which
font size has not been specified either in absolute units or relative to an
ancestor element specified in absolute units. Conversely, elements declared
in author stylesheets in absolute units should be unaffected by UA font size
changes.

>... But when it
>comes to using this mechanism to include another document within a
>document, I expect it to function as part of the main document.

If you want an included HTML document to function as part of the main
document, it will have to inherit the style state at the position of the
OBJECT in the parent document's tree. There could be some strange side
effects if the OBJECT is nested such that contextual rules apply to its
content. Note also that you will be nesting HTML and BODY elements. What
happens to relative measures declared on BODY?

It seems to me that constructing documents with includes is best done with
files that are not stand-alone HTML. Why not reset the style state ONLY if
the included file is a stand-alone HTML document? E.g., save/reinitialize
style rules for each nested <HTML> element?

David Perrell