Re: css2 - 6.4/5/6 Contextual selectors

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 14:47:59 -0800
To: <www-style@w3.org>, "Eric A. Meyer" <eam3@po.cwru.edu>

Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>Here's a question, though.  Assume that the above syntax is adopted.  Would
>these be valid constructs and translations thereof?
>
>   DIV /~ P {...   /* P as direct child of any element following DIV */
>
>   DIV //~ P {...  /* P as direct child of any element immediately
>                      following DIV */

IMHO, not necessarily. The syntax I offered describes the relationship
between two elements. Your contructs introduce an unspecified intermediate
element, and the usefulness is dubious.

  <BODY>
  <DIV><P>No special rules apply here.</P></DIV>
  <DIV><P>Both declarations apply to this P.</P></DIV>
  <DIV><P>The first declaration would apply to this P
  if the previous DIV had no P children.</P></DIV>

>...or have I pushed things too far again?

Well, I always thought that the only way to find the true limit was to push
too far, but doing so often produces gory consequences.

David Perrell