W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > November 1997

VALIGN Equivalent?

From: Andrew n marshall <amarshal@usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:38:59 -0800
Message-ID: <01BCFA79.2E5090F0.amarshal@usc.edu>
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>

Have I overlooked an equivalent to the VALIGN property found in HTML tables 
and table cells?

If it doesn't exist, I think it is a useful concept.  For example, it would 
allow authors to complete center a set of elements within its parent.  I 
have not found a way to do this in the existing implementation.  Top and 
Bottom can be achieved by enclosing the material in a div that has a top or 
bottom equal to 0.  To mean this seems like a hack, but it should work.

The primary use of this would be to align related material in adjacent 
boxes, such as a caption next to a vertically large media object.

Specifically, this is what I would like to see:
A box property that has three possible values: 'top', 'center', and 
'bottom', with 'top' as the default.  It would determine the vertical 
position of inline elements contained within the box in the following ways:
	top: Aligns the top margin of the first line box to the top padding of the 
	center: Aligns the vertical center of the collection of all line boxes and 
floating elements to the center-point between the top padding and bottom 
paddings of the box.
	bottom: Aligns the bottom margin of the last line box to the bottom 
padding of the box.

The specific details may not be correct, since I am a little confused about 
how paddings and margins interact (do they collapse? What is the design 
decision for why/why not?).

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
      "Everyone a mentor,  Everyone a pupil"
Received on Wednesday, 26 November 1997 17:34:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:26:45 UTC