RE: VALIGN Equivalent?

From: Andrew n marshall <amarshal@usc.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 06:47:13 -0800
To: "'David Perrell'" <davidp@earthlink.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wednesday, November 26, 1997 2:20 PM, David Perrell
[SMTP:davidp@earthlink.net] wrote:
> Not in the CSS1 spec. There's a CSS2 proposal at
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-CSS2/tables.html#h-17.6> that applies the
> vertical-align property to block-type elements. I've suggested a similar
> 'vertical-position' property for block element content.

Still this only aligns the box, not the contents within the box.

> Another possibility is to allow the 'auto' value for the padding
property.
> In your divframes page, for example, setting padding-top and
padding-bottom
> of #sidebar to 'auto' would vertically-center the content in the panel.
But
> this is not a substitute for VALIGN.

I checked this, and there is no 'auto' value for <padding-width>.
	http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-CSS2/box.html#h-9.4.1

If there was one that divided space between opposite paddings (top &
bottom, right & left), then I would be happy enough.  Until then, I am
still trying to vertically center content in a box.

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
    http://www.media-electronica.com/anm-bin/anm
      "Everyone a mentor,  Everyone a pupil"