List item numbers in CSS

From: Tim Bagot <timothy.bagot@keble.oxford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:06:05 +0000 (GMT)
I think it would be useful to have a way of applying styles to the numbers
of list items, which does not currently seem to be possible.

If a list item's number is not considered to be a part of the list item,
then this could, I suppose, be achieved by applying the styles to the
whole list and removing them for the list item, assuming that all of the
list numbers are to be rendered similarly. Obiously, it would be much
easier to do it using a pseudo-element, for example.

I think this would be particularly useful for aural rendering, permitting
the use of pauses or a different tone of voice for the numbers.

Tim Bagot