Re: ANNC: Cascading Style Sheets Editor

On May 5,  5:41pm, Terje Norderhaug wrote:

> The Interaction Cascading Style Sheets Editor was officially released
> today. It is a dialog based CSS editor for the Macintosh.

It seems rather nice. Here is a stylesheet that I produced with the CSS
editor in a couple of minutes :

BODY {
   MARGIN-LEFT: 10%;
   FONT-FAMILY: "Beautiful 2", "sans serif";
   FONT-SIZE: MEDIUM;
   FONT-STYLE: normal;
   BACKGROUND-COLOR: #223E04;
   COLOR: #E59B8C;
   FONT-WEIGHT: normal  }
H1 {
   BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent;
   COLOR: #FFEFB5;
   FONT-FAMILY: DeadGrit;
   FONT-SIZE: 160%;
   FONT-WEIGHT: bolder;
   FONT-STYLE: normal  }
H2 { FONT-STYLE: oblique }
H3 { FONT-VARIANT: small-caps }
P {
   BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x;
   BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.bg.com/pinkfish.gif);
   FONT-VARIANT: normal  }
STRONG {
   COLOR: #F7ABC2;
   FONT-WEIGHT: bold  }
EM { FONT-WEIGHT: bolder }

There is a preview to show the effect of the changes on a bit of sample
text. The preview occasionally lagged, I had to choose a different selector
and then go back to the one I was editing to get a refresh, but the idea is
good.

I was pleased to see that specifying multiple fonts was possible, and that
the five magic CSS1 font families could be chosen easily.

Selecting colors is fine (using the color picker) although I suspect the
values are incorrect according to the CSS1 specification. I have
ColorSync 2.1 installed and a default profile set, and I have an sRGB
profile, but I suspect the software was not using this so the gamma
of the colors picked here is incorrect (but I would be pleased to be
proven wrong).

There was an impressive amount of built-in error protection because most
selections are done with drop-down menus so it is impossible to select
something that is invalid. I did not try nastry stuff like typing
alphabetical characters into percentage input fields or giving it a bogus
stylesheet to edit, though.

I guess we should register an Apple file type for CSS at some point.

On the basis of a quick inspection, this looks good. Congratulations.