Re: Distance between <P> (and other) tags?

Thanks Todd, but I'm afraid the problem is somewhat
more subtle than this.

The question is whether and/or how CSS can be
used to describe spacing between paragraphs in
a convenient manner.

Let us assume a browser's default style sheet uses
margin-top and/or margin-bottom to render documents
in a way that there is spacing between paragraphs.

Now, what happens at the top of the canvas? Or at
the top/bottom of a table cell?

As far as I understand, top and bottom margins
for elements at the top or bottom of a containing
block should not be collapsed. This, in turn, will
cause table cells (as an example) to be rendered in
a funny looking way with lots of space in them.

This is what I would like to have:
____________________
|Here in one paragraph.
|
|Here is another.

But using margin-top, I should get:

____________________

|Here is one paragraph.
|
|Here is another.

What does IE4 do? Are top-margins collapsed against
a containing box? This would be in conflict with the CSS1
specification (unless I didn't understand it correctly, which
is what I hope).

BTW: We are designing our own authoring software,
so the question isn't really about how to hack IE or
NS to achieve some effect. But thanks anyway, for
your little IE hack!

Regards,

Jonas Salling