Distance between <P> (and other) tags?

From: Jonas Salling <salling@cooper.xanthus.se>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 15:03:45 -0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Is it possible to achieve the effect of <P> tags being
separated using CSS without getting unwanted space
at the top and/or bottom of the containing block?

I was thinking one could achieve the familiar HTML
rendering of paragraphs by adding the following to
the default style sheet used by the browser:

P { margin-top: 5px; }

Unfortunately (?), the CSS spec. (as far as I am able
to understand) doesn't allow vertical margins to be
collapsed at the top and bottom of a contining block.

Is a browser supposed to handle spacing between
paragraphs in some other way? If the answer to this
questing is yes, how is an author supposed to get
rid of this (default) spacing?

H&kon (and others)?

Regards,

Jonas Salling