Re: alternate font properties

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 18:06:20 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>, "Liam Quinn" <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Liam Quinn wrote:
> Um, without a property name, no :)

Well, a good browser should be able to understand what I mean. :)

> >The size declaration is optional
>
> No, it's not.  There is no ? after <font-size> at
> <http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1#font>.

Ah, so there isn't. Well, then, I guess this 'new, improved font'
really can't be compatible with the current 'font'. Each family name
would have to be prefaced with a font-size.

> It's better form to use quotes, but browsers should be able to handle
it
> otherwise, assuming that the font-size is properly given.  The spec
says
> that "Font names containing whitespace should be quoted" [1], but it
> doesn't say that they must be.

So, as usual, it's "some pain, some gain", and my evidence was
specious. So now I'm thinking a such a change to 'font' is not a good
idea.

David Perrell