Re: !important ( was Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings)

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:53:06 -0700
To: "Chris Lilley" <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, <www-style@w3.org>
Chris Lilley wrote:
> What do people think about allowing !important in an author
stylesheet. I
> haven't seen it used except in test cases (but that could be because
of
> lack of support in the implementations).

Seems to me the cleanest use of !important would be to reverse the
cascade for an element so declared. The reader's !important would have
highest priority.

This definition could also be useful in a corporate environment, where
a global stylesheet could have !important elements that couldn't be
overridden by authors.

> For example, one suggestion (made on accessibility grounds) is to not
allow
> !important in author stylesheets. Or, to have a !essential or
somesuch
> which was only allowed in reader stylesheets.

No need for not allow. !important would simply be useless for an
author. Reader rule weight infinitised by !important provides the
firmest ground for accessibility.

As for !essential or somesuch if-then-else-whatever, puh-leeze no. The
implementers are having a hard enough time already.

David Perrell