<border-style> rendering

From: Neil St.Laurent <neil@bigpic.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 08:59:41 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org
If a style of double, groove, ridge, inset, or outset is chosen and
the resulting pixel width of the border is 1, how should the border
be drawn?

Are there any guidelines as to the depths of the
groove/ridge/inset/outset?  I fear that according to the standard I
can accurately represent any of the four using only black and
white...

Is a dotted line an alternating pixel line, or is it a dot then a
large space then a dot...?

If the border of an element overlaps with the border of it's parent
should the child's border show, or the parents?

__