re: CSS1 extension: container/noncontainer property

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 17:26:40 -0800
To: www-style@www10.w3.org
CC: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
[Daniel M. German:]

| Jon Bosak wrote:
|
| | 7. EMPTY tags (like the IMG and BR tags in HTML) use the special tag
| | close delimiter "/>".  Thus, if you want to use an EMPTY tag named FOO
| | in your document, you represent it as <FOO/> (plus any attributes, of
| | course).  This is how the parser distinguishes between what you called
| | "container" and "non-container" in your original post.
|
| This does not appear to be proper SGML.

Appearances can be deceiving.  :-)

|  I assume that an element of such type will have a content declaration
| like:
|
| <!ELEMENT BR   - O EMPTY>
|
| Looking into the documentation, I can see the definition of the null
| end tag as "/>". Is this why <BR/> is allowed? Clever!

Give that man a seegar!  Exactly right.  This is what is known
technically as a Stupid NET Trick.  It's perfectly legal SGML given
the right declaration.

| Furthermore, where can I download the a file with the SGML
| declaration, Mr. Bosak?

A version of the declaration is embedded in the current XML draft.
Unfortunately, a bout of late-night confusion on my part resulted in
the wrong version being put in the draft.  The next draft, which
should be out Real Soon Now, will contain the correct SGML
declaration.

Jon