re: CSS1 extension: container/noncontainer property

From: Daniel M. German <dmg@csg.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:26:15 -0500 (EST)
To: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
CC: www-style@www10.w3.org

Jon Bosak wrote:

| 7. EMPTY tags (like the IMG and BR tags in HTML) use the special tag
| close delimiter "/>".  Thus, if you want to use an EMPTY tag named FOO
| in your document, you represent it as <FOO/> (plus any attributes, of
| course).  This is how the parser distinguishes between what you called
| "container" and "non-container" in your original post.

This does not appear to be proper SGML. I assume that an element of
such type will have a content declaration like:

<!ELEMENT BR   - O EMPTY>

Looking into the documentation, I can see the definition of the null
end tag as "/>". Is this why <BR/> is allowed? Clever!

Furthermore, where can I download the a file with the SGML
declaration, Mr. Bosak?

Thanks,

--
Daniel M. German                  "The truth exists
   Georges Braque ->               --only fictions are invented"