Re: DSSSL style editing (was: RE: Positioning...)

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 07:51:36 -0500
To: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Jon Bosak wrote:
> Quite a few knowledgeable people in the DSSSL community agree with
> Paul's position.  If you limit the scope of the application to what
> reasonable users want to do with a stylesheet, then I agree that
> interoperable editors are certainly possible.  I just don't like the
> requirement that I have to be reasonable.

Agreed. I'm just arguing that we could have one syntax and one set
of style processors (DSSSL-fixed and DSSSL-programmable) instead of two
syntaxes and two sets of style processors CSS and DSSSL-complete.

Which isn't to argue that CSS should be discarded. It is probably more
simply hand-editable than DSSSL. I just don't think that most SGML tools
need to implement it. They could just implement DSSSL-fixed.

 Paul Prescod