Re: [Q] Shouldn't margin-bottom...?

On Tue Feb 04 17:16:15 1997, in <9702041816.ZM3911@grommit.inria.fr>, Chris Lilley wrote:
>On Feb 4, 12:26am, Dan Delaney wrote:
>
>>    Shouldn't this Style Sheet make it so that Paragraphs do NOT have space
>> between them and have the first line indented?
>
>Yes, subject to margin-top not being particularly large.
>
>> P {text-indent:15; margin-bottom:0}
>>
>>    Is that not correct or does MSIE just not implement CSS correctly?
>
>The latter. To be more specific, MSIE 3.0 is not a full CSS1 implementation.
>Obviously I can't say what any release > 3.01 will do.
>

>> MSIE also doesn't seem to recognize
>> "text-indent:3em". Instead it just indents it 3 pixels! Am I missing
>> something here?
>
>No, your example is correct and a conforming implementation will do as
>you say. Note that the definition of a conforming implementation was
>only published on 17 Dec 1996. Expect implementations to become
>conforming in due course.

If you go to the documentation on the MS site, it says explicitly that
MSIE3 does not support margin-bottom.  Thus, it's not very surprising that
your margin-bottom declaration does nothing.  They do support margin-top,
though, so maybe setting that to 0 would have the effect that you want.
They also say that MSIE3 doesn't recognize "em" as a valid length unit,
so they probably take pixels as the default when they don't recognize the
units.  I don't have the documentation URL handy, but it shouldn't be too
hard to find if you go to their site.

Regards,

David