RE: Dealing with form elements...

From: William M. Perry <wmperry@aventail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:31:09 -0800
To: "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>
Chris Wilson writes:
>Ick ick ick ick!  Let's not hack a one-off solution to this; why don't
>we go with the long-ago proposed arbitrary-attribute mechanism, so you
>could do something like:
>
>INPUT[TYPE=SUBMIT] { color: green; text-decoration: none; }
>INPUT[TYPE=RESET] { color: red;   text-decoration: none; }
>INPUT[TYPE=IMAGE] { vertical-align: blah; text-decoration: none; }
>INPUT        { text-decoration: underline; }
>
>obviously, this can go much further:
>UL[TYPE=COMPACT] { ... }
>or even
>A[HREF] { ... }	/* any source anchor */
>[HREF] { ... }	/* any element with an HREF */
>
>I'd sign up to support this.

  As would I, but now you are getting beyond the realm of CSS1.  Whether or
not that is a good or bad thing is debatable.  This is why I want to finish
off the DSSSL support in Emacs-W3 and just start throwing the CSS stuff
through a little converter. :)

>On a side note, though, there is a problem with describing the difference
>between the "inside" of an INPUT element and the "outside" - for example,
>when you set "vertical-align: super" on a text box, do you mean the text
>box should be superscripted, or the content inside the text box should be?
>For this, I would propose that a new pseudoclass, ":inside" be added and
>applied to INPUT elements only.  Comments?

  Sounds like a plan to me.  Not sure if :inside is the best name or not
though.  Perhaps :content or :value?

-Bill P.