Dealing with form elements...

From: William M. Perry <wmperry@aventail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:21:41 -0800
Was just rooting around in the w3 forms code, and had a flash of insight.
You cannot really set CSS properties on a form input area very well.  The
reason is that you do not know what _type_ of input area it is.

You could in the old CSS spec (level 2) that had ways to access attributes
on elements instead of just class-wise.  I'd propose using some 'input'
specific pseudo-classes to specify the type of the input area.

The reason I would like this is that Emacs-W3 allows you to do all sorts of
fun things to input fields.  I would like to specify in the default
stylesheet:

input:submit { color: green; text-decoration: none; }
input:reset  { color: red;   text-decoration: none; }
input:image  { vertical-align: blah; text-decoration: none; }
input        { text-decoration: underline; }

Without this, you cannot specify that you want everything but submit/reset
buttons underlined, etc.

-Bill P.