Empty tag

From: Chimbis <chimbis@sunny.bahnhof.se>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 17:49:17 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
I recently recieved my copy of a basic stylesheet book.
Much to my dismay I found that I have problems, I want to do a
historically correct reproduction of a old book (1633) on the web. I'll
eventually manage it with exact positioning etc.

The problem is though that the manuscript mixes two different fonts for
which I would use Garamond (new-font) and something called Old Schwaben
(main-font). I thought that

<P class="main-font">text text text <DIV class="new-font">other text</DIV>
text text</P>

would be fine but this breaks the text around "other text". Then I thought
of

<P class="main-font">text text text <EM class="new-font">other text</EM>
text text</P>

which works in this case as I will point out that the page is meant to
viewed with  the newest browsers. But it won't work in other instances as
it may look very strange with <EM>.

Q: is there a <DIV> like solution that doesn't break the text? Apologies
if I'm missing something obvious.

Martin S.
Martin Skj÷ldebrand <chimbis@bahnhof.se>
Member of HTML Writers Guild
Welcome to visit The Olde Cookery Book at
http://www.bahnhof.se/~chimbis/tocb/