Re: Proprietary Properties?

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 13:40:28 -0800
To: "Eric A. Meyer" <eam3@po.cwru.edu>, www-style@w3.org
Eric A. Meyer wrote (3:59 PM -0500 12/9/97):
"    I was in a discussion with someone about HTML vs. CSS, and one of the
" points I made was that at least with CSS, we don't have the problems of
" browser authors adding proprietary stuff, like has been happening for years
" with HTML.  The response was, "Oh, yeah, like they don't do the same thing
" with CSS."
"[snip]
"    So I put it to the folks here:  ARE there any proprietary properties?

MS has implemented support for a number of "proposed" CSS properties in IE4. I can't provide a list, but the "hover" pseudoclass on links, custom cursor and filter support come to mind. I don't think these are really so insidious in themselves, but I wish they'd implement all of CSS1 before going off on their own. Like "width" on block-level elements other than DIV, or the real "ex" unit (not just .5 em).

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923