Re: Proprietary Properties?

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 13:40:28 -0800
To: "Eric A. Meyer" <eam3@po.cwru.edu>, www-style@w3.org
Eric A. Meyer wrote (3:59 PM -0500 12/9/97):
"    I was in a discussion with someone about HTML vs. CSS, and one of the
" points I made was that at least with CSS, we don't have the problems of
" browser authors adding proprietary stuff, like has been happening for years
" with HTML.  The response was, "Oh, yeah, like they don't do the same thing
" with CSS."
"    So I put it to the folks here:  ARE there any proprietary properties?

MS has implemented support for a number of "proposed" CSS properties in IE4. I can't provide a list, but the "hover" pseudoclass on links, custom cursor and filter support come to mind. I don't think these are really so insidious in themselves, but I wish they'd implement all of CSS1 before going off on their own. Like "width" on block-level elements other than DIV, or the real "ex" unit (not just .5 em).

Todd Fahrner

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923