Re: CSS Cascade order and Accessibility

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 22:54:01 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

At 12:57 PM 04/12/97 +1100, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>A CSS conforming Browser requires that Author Styles be weighted higher
>than Reader Style.
>The Working Draft (CSS2) then goes on to point out the inherent
>stupidity, and says it is important to have some way to override this.
>But there is no requirement in the standard. Surely it makes more sense
>to allow readers' styles greater weight than authors'. It would then
>make sense to allow the reader to make !unimportant declarations, which
>is analagous to changing UA default settings.

I think a nice, clean solution would be to suggest (*) that UAs give all
author rules equal weight--i.e., ignore "!important" in author style

(*) It would be nice to *require* that UAs ignore "!important" in author
style sheets, but this would mean that a CSS2-compliant browser could not
be a CSS1-compliant browser.  Perhaps it's worth it?

Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.0
Charset: noconv

Liam Quinn