Re: Backwards compatibility of new selectors (was: Color

From: Neil St.Laurent <neil@bigpic.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:57:10 -0600
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
CC: <www-style@w3.org>
> Unfortunate that a first draft be significantly changed? I couldn't
> disagree more. CSS2 as written is not a standard, thankfully. Now is
> the time for implementers and authors to carefully look it over,
> comment, suggest, and criticize. Its publication would be a waste if
> it wasn't improved as result..

Changing for the purpose of improvement and refinement is fine, as
you stated it is a draft.  However the will to rewrite/discard large
sections of the document due to major vendors not supporting it would
be a shame, and a loss.

The basic problem comes with the large vendors choosing to implement
things that are technically easier and a lot flashier, such as
filters, rather than implementing a suggested draft that has more
power behind it.

Input into the standard should come from those part of the working
group and lists such as these.  I don't see it correct to have
individuals on the working group looking at the major browsers and
taking that to be the major vendors input on the subject.

But then again we shouldn't be like Sun and not listen to anybody and
end up producing an extremely limited and powerless language such as
Java.
__