RE: Cascading Style Sheets

From: Steven Pemberton <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:49:36 +0100 (MET)
To: "Eric A. Meyer" <eam3@po.cwru.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
 > >Well, there is an inherent problem with what you said.  Great I may
 > >know how to increase read to become pink under HLS, but the problem
 > >no lies in determining what Red is?
 >
 >    Agreed.  My guess is that it's zero degrees, based on my work with
 > Photoshop.  However, do I know where yellow is?  How about green?  (The
 > answer in both cases is "no.")

Any colour notation needs some underlying knowledge. Where is Yellow
in RGB? You have to know which colours to mix. HSL just maps the
rainbow onto a circle, with red at 0 degrees (=360 degrees) and the 6
prime colours (RyGcBm) are equally spaced on it at (360/6) 60 degree
intervals.

 >    Never mind the fact that we're pretty much stuck with the 216-color
 > "Web-safe" palette for the forseeable future...

CSS addresses more than just CRTs, of course, and it must also be
future proof.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl