Re: Constants & Environment Variables

At 5:33 AM -0000 8/27/97, marduk wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Jordan Reiter wrote:
>
>> I would like to voice my support for the proposals for the addition of
>> the uses of environmental variables to CSS
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-css-potential#pgfId=1029312).  It offers a
>> great potential to both authors and users, but users particularly.
>> Rather than having to rely on the application itself to define how
>> various items were rendered, the user would be able to define it using
>> CSS.  And if we want users to begin using CSS themselves on a large
>> scale (rather than only having web authors use it), this is a powerful
>> way to get them involved.
>
>Most of them appear useful, however what would $DWIDTH/$DHEIGHT be if the
>user were not using a traditional "display"?

If the user were not using a traditional display, then properties such as
WIDTH, HEIGHT, etc. wouldn't be relevant anyway.  Obviously, the advantage
of CSS is that it can be developed media-specific--visual, aural, printing,
etc.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]