Re: Portrait vs. Landscape (was Re: THEAD & TFOOT for columns)

Neil St.Laurent writes:

 > > In what way? If a browser chooses to print in landscape mode, the
 > > ALIGN attribute will still work. A "landscaped" page still has a left
 > > and a right..
 >
 > Yes, that is true, but if I'm laying things out horizontally I would
 > likely have a need to float things at the top and bottom of the page
 > as well, whereas left/right could actually mean beginning/end of
 > document...

By reading other messages in this thread, I now understand that
the terms "landscape" and "portrait" have been used to describe
scrolling directions. I don't think this is good use of the terms, but
at least I understand what you mean now.

 > > CSS1 makes no assumptions about landscape vs. portrait and all CSS
 > > properties work equally well. If you disagree, please provide
 > > examples..
 >
 > I'll try to think of more, but I think lack of vertical alignment is
 > one of those areas, float should have top/bottom as options.

Again, this is a misunderstanding based on the the terms "landscape"
and "portrait". It's time to state some truths:

 - in the CSS1 formatting model, a document can equally well be
   displayed on a visual device that is higher than it's wide, as on a
   page that is wider than it's high.

 - in the CSS1 formatting model, block-level, non-floating elements
   are laid out from top to bottom.

Future levels of CSS may introduce functionality to change the
direction content is laid out, but this is not yet available. Note
that CSS1 can equally well support right-to-left as left-to-right
writing direction since this only changes the way content is laid out
*within* the elements.

Regards,

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium