Re: The concept of cascading

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:46:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: mwexler@Adobe.COM (Mike Wexler)
Cc: davidp@earthlink.net, www-style@w3.org
> It seems to me that the department that wants to implement red
> underlinesfor links can do that
> by creating a DSSSL style sheet from scratch (or by copying and modifying
> the company standard one).

Well, obviously we're dealing with bits and bytes, so it is next to impossible
to stop someone from hijacking your bytes in CSS or DSSSL. Therefore there
must be a policy about how stylesheets may be extended. In CSS, that
policy must contain a list of things that it is legal to change or not
change. A person could accidently violate the rule, or do so purposely in
subtle ways that are hard to detect. In DSSSL the rules are built into the
corporate stylesheet which could be on a read-only web server.

Anyhow, I'm not promoting this as some great feature of DSSSL. I just
reject the idea that ad hoc cascading is usually better than careful
parameterization for this sort of departmental customization.

 Paul Prescod