Re: Can cascading work?

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 00:28:13 -0400
To: wmperry@aventail.com
CC: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>, www-style@w3.org, Jukka.Korpela@hut.fi
William M. Perry wrote:
>   This will really only help with well-written author stylesheets.  I
> haven't done a sampling, but if anybody has, I'd be interested in the
> percentage of sheets that actually _use_ relative font sizing versus the 'I
> want this 26pt, dammit' philosophy.

If you can trust authors to use relative sizing then you don't need
cascading, just parameterization. DSSSL has built-in parameterization (
(declare-initial-value ...) ) for inherited characteristics, but you
could also make more advanced parameters available like: "use-colors?"
"java-available?" etc.

 Paul Prescod