Re: Hyphenation (was Re: A suggested tag)

Vincent QUINT wrote:
> I think that neither HTML nor CSS have to convey information about the
> hyphenation dictionaries (or algorithms) to be used for each document.
> With the LANG attribute you can indicate the language of each part of a
> multi-lingual document.  This should be enough for the user agent to decide
> what method or what dictionary it will use.

  The base dictionaries should be determined by the UA, but an author
should be able to provide supplemental dictionaries for unusual
words.  I think Dave's proposal should work fine for that, without
having to modify the definition of HTML.  A multi-lingual document
could simply add one such LINK element for each language for which
supplemental entries are needed.  The hyphenation database format
could be specified using the TYPE attribute of the LINK element.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.
fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us