Re: From CSS to DSSSL

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:28:20 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
Dave Raggett wrote:
> It may be more helpful to think of cascading in terms of
> combining complementary models, as in C include files or
> Java classes. The ability to decompose style sheets into
> modular pieces supplied by different folks is very useful.

I agree. But I don't think that that has anything to do with cascading.
After all do you call C include files "cascading programming"? Cascading
style sheets seems like OO inheritance to me, but in OO you always
design the override based on the options provided by the stylesheet
author, not in a vacuum. This is the way it is proposed it should work
in DSSSL-XML. The stylesheet itself declares the reasonable values to
override. Of course you can always completely override a rule for an
element if your browser/editor supports it.

 Paul Prescod