Re: From CSS to DSSSL

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:58:20 -0400 ()
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
cc: Todd Fahrner <todd@verso.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Paul Prescod wrote:

> I'm not sure if there is a CSS analogue to cascading! I haven't
> yet seen this idea put in practice, with the many obvious kinks
> (oops! black on black!) worked out. Once we understand this, it
> could probably be incorporated into DSSSL, but right now it looks
> to me like a nice idea that wasn't practical. The stylesheet
> author MUST provide a list of reasonable alternatives: either as
> options or as separate style sheets.

It may be more helpful to think of cascading in terms of
combining complementary models, as in C include files or
Java classes. The ability to decompose style sheets into
modular pieces supplied by different folks is very useful.

Dave Raggett - <dsr@w3.org> tel +1 617 258 5741 fax +1 617 258 5999
World Wide Web Consortium 545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139