Re: French typograhical rules for spaces (was Re: space )

From: Bert Bos <bbos@mygale.inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:37:16 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Aymeric Poulain Maubant <Aymeric.PoulainMaubant@enst-bretagne.fr>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Aymeric Poulain Maubant writes:

 > First of all, I'm _not_ a typographer. I'm just a frenchman who searches
 > his library. Here are the rules (in a mixed french/english vocabulary,
 > as I do not know the exact english terminology) for spacing as given
 > by the "Imprimerie Nationale". I think this will help, but you better
 > should contact some frenchman from the Gutenberg project.
 [rules omitted]

Excellent! Is there an authoratitive book on typography in France,
maybe the one from the Imprimerie Nationale? I'd like to order it.

Some translations:

French       English     Dutch

cadratin     quad/em     vierkantje
espace-mots  word space  woordspatie

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Bos/                      INRIA/W3C
  +33 93 65 77 71                 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France