Re: space

From: Maurizio Codogno <mau@beatles.cselt.stet.it>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:55:59 +0200
To: nickn@harlequin.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
% From nickn@harlequin.com Wed Sep 25 18:06:16 1996

% I believe that it is still considered an important style in France and other
% parts of Europe. If any typographer from Italy or France is reading the list,
% I'd appreciate hearing a comment. I also believe that inserting a
% non-breakig space is the way it is usually specified in those areas.

I am no typographer, but I can confirm that in Italian books and
newspapers, space after period has the same length as space between words.

But anyway, shouldn't be more logical to define a "larger" space [*], like
Knuth did in TeX, rather than adding a nbsp ?

.mau.

[*] That is, a space which, if there is no other constraint, is larger
than the standard one.