Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:56:27 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
At 12:37 PM 10/16/96 -0500, Scott E. Preece wrote:
>I'd have to agree that it isn't clear from the announcement whether they
>intend to support CSS.  On the other hand, CSS is hardly the holy grail
>of stylesheet support.  From a content-value-preservation point of view,
>it's the separation of content and presentation that's interesting, not
>the particular notation used for the stylesheets (which is why
>stylesheets were specifically separated out of HTML).

I agree, mostly. But on the other hand, if using style sheets becomes too
expensive and difficult because of incompatible implementations, people will
just use the existing (and future) inline styles, which will seem "easier."
The browser vendors could take note that style sheets are not much used by
users, and advancement could grind to a halt.

On the other hand, non-programmatic stylesheets (like CSS) are, IMHO, a
little underpowered, so it would be nice if Netscape embraced and extended
CSS with Javascript, instead of ignoring it. Javascript in documents is a
bad idea, but in stylesheets seems like it would be a useful "jane
webmaster" version of full DSSSL.

 Paul Prescod