Re: Caching of Style sheets

From: Clark Breyman <cbreyman@xsoft.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 15:04:10 PDT
To: James Tauber <jtauber@library.uwa.edu.au>
Cc: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
James Tauber wrote:

> > While my suggestion might be restated "Why don't we put a UUID in every
> > web content object?", I thought it best to limit my suggestion to CSS
> > as there is still the opportunity to influence the initial development
> > of CSS enabled UA's.
>
> How about using ISO/IEC 9070 public identifiers? A simple solution exists
> for resolving them to URLs (see http://www.entmp.org/fpi-urn/delgate.html)
> and they are already used by DSSSL. (Infact, I'm currently putting
> together a proposal to use them for Java classes as well).
>
> James K. Tauber / jtauber@library.uwa.edu.au
> University CWIS Coordination Officer
> The University of Western Australia

Doesn't 9070 require registration? My original thought was simply to
provide a key for efficient duplicate suppression and cache
management, not to provide a backward map to the master location. If we
require registration for UUIDs, that imposed a bottleneck on
thier adoption. Something similar to a hostid (ethernet address) based
UUIDGEN used in MSCOM or DCE would allow anyone with a net connection to
just start using the mechanism.

Clark Breyman
Not nec. the opinions of my employer.