Re: An alternative strategy

From: Scott E. Preece <preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 08:21:45 -0500
To: bosak@atlantic-83.eng.sun.com
Cc: Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr, cwilso@microsoft.com, www-style@w3.org
  From: bosak@atlantic-83.eng.sun.com (Jon Bosak)

| I agree that it would be useful to have a dsssl-o version of the
} default HTML 2.0 stylesheet at the back of the CSS1 spec.  While no
| such thing exists at present, I did some rooting around and came up
| with something similar that was written, I believe, by James Clark a
} year or so ago. ...

---

An interesting hint of what it can do.  I like the style (LISP is still
my favorite language).  I like the natural way it supports, for
instance, arithmetic on indentations and sizes.

I'm a little curious whether it supports anything like the context
selectors in CSS1 (does that "(element (ul li)..." mean an li inside
a ul?).  Is the context stacck exposed to the code in the element
descriptions (can you treat it like an a-list or like the environment in
a closure)?

What makes me really nervous about this notation is whether it implies
more than it delivers.  Is it really Scheme or does it just use the
notation and allow a few of the operations in specific places?

Of course, the more pressing question is whether anybody is going to
implement it in a common-use browser...

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550