RE: backgrounds..

More clearly, MSIE3 does not support the padding and border properties
which give you more background control.  For now the border is the
natural edge of the element, this will change soon to more fully support
those attributes.

I realize this is not as complete as everyone would like but I hope you
are able to still get value from the background stuff in the meantime
(one simple hack is to place inside single-cell tables).

-Thomas