Re: Frames and Documents

From: Steve Knoblock <knoblock@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 00:21:40 -0400
To: I.End@bigpic.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
You misunderstand...I have several style sheets on my site linked to almost
all pages. I do want author control of suggested styles. What I am saying,
is that when I author a document (not write html) I do not wan to think
about the layout and when I mark it up I still do not want to think about
layout---I want to think about structure. With linked style sheets the user
should be able to select a style they prefer, columns or no-columns, frames
or no-frames, classical or punk, voice or big print. I feel designers will
provide style, not most users. This is they way books are now. I don't feel
most people want to take over that job. I am sure we will see many freeware
style sheets and ones sold in web-top publishing packages, probably even
given away with browsers. The user should have a wide choice of styles to
view their content in.

Steve

At 06:24 PM 8/29/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> user chooses should determine if they see frames or not. Or text in
>> columns or not. That way when authoring, we can just write a
>> manuscript and worry about the layout later.
>
>I think this is fine for several purposes.  The problem I see with
>this, is that if we can never specify the way something looks, we'll
>all be left to live in a world of monotony.  If the author can't
>decide any of the rendering (such as frames or columns), everything
>will end up being the same (especially considering that MS and
>Netscape will both have the same default styles, and most people will
>never change them).
> ____
>/
>|  Imagination's End  I.End@bigpic.com
>|  Senior Software Engineer
>|  Big Picture Multimedia

   _/     Steve Knoblock
             knoblock@worldnet.att.net
   _/     City Gallery - History of Photography
             http://www.webcom.com/cityg
   _/     Member:  National Stereoscopic Association
            http://www.tisco.com/3d-web/nsa/nsa.htm